Thread: 2006 World Cup
View Single Post
Old 19-06-2006, 03:42 PM   #146
Gelfo
Game freak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(plix @ Jun 18 2006, 01:09 AM) [snapback]237411[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

The Italian red card (the first of the game) was for a flagrant elbow to the face (which resulted in a noticable amount of blood). The ejection was justified. The first red card on the US came only a few minutes later on a late slide tackle. No warning, no yellow card; a direct red. The third red card was an automatic after a second yellow on another clean tackle only two minutes into the second half. There was, again, no warning and no justification. It's rather amazing the Americans held on as well as they did playing a man down against a fantastic Italian team for nearly the entire second half.

[/b]
I know this is coming a bit late... but I think all the red cards were justified in that match. Mastreonis(?) tackle was absolutely terrible. When I first saw it it didnt look red card worthy...but on the replay... he's lunged in right into Pirlo's ankle. Two footed, studs showing, very late. Horrible tackle... he could have done a lot of damage. Oweyu (the other american centre back) was lucky to not receive a second yellow card as well.. he was consistantly fouling Toni almost everytime he got the ball. I think the referee became reluctant to give fouls and bookings out after the sendings off.

Overall I was disappointed with Italys performance, should have taken the 3 points and been through. But now we have to do it the hard way by beating a, weakened, Czech team. We should beat them...but.. you never know with Italy. Zaccardo scored one of the stupidest own goals I've ever seen.. what a slice!

Still it's been a very good worldcup so far. Argentina are a different class, Ecuador are doing well and hooray for Ghana