Thread: A-10 Cuba
View Single Post
Old 20-11-2020, 02:25 PM   #1
dannyboy75

Default A-10 Cuba

I used to love playing A-10 Cuba back in the day, ever since I tried the demo on a magazine coverdisc. It was a flight sim for Windows 95.

Most recently I used to play it on Windows XP and it worked fine, but that was ~10 years ago, if not more.

I recently revived an old PC of mine and installed Win XP on it (+ SP3 and device drivers), thinking I'd be able to dive straight back into A-10. Unfortunately it doesn't work though - installing it gives an error relating to one of the game's files (game.gid).

I also tried just running the game executable directly from the setup files, which I found others had success with, while googling for solutions. This opens the game launcher, but gives an error relating to a DirectPlay file (dpserial.dll). When I then try and start a mission, I just end up with a black screen or CTD. I did try running both the installer and game exe in compatibility mode for Win95.

At this point I started thinking about DOSBox. I'd dabbled in it on occasions but never really used it properly. I followed a guide to install Win95 OSR2, and got that working. But as soon as I tried to install drivers for the default S3 emulation, and SB audio, I now get 'Windows protection error' when it boots in DirectX driver mode. If booting in WINDIB driver mode, the 95 desktop loads but then explorer hangs (and My Computer/Network Places aren't visible).

I'd really like to get this working again if I can. I found other people saying they'd got it running in Windows 7, so I thought it'd be easy running it on Win XP. I'd be really grateful for any advice either with that, or running it in DOSBox.

cheers
Danny
dannyboy75 is offline                         Send a private message to dannyboy75