View Single Post
Old 16-04-2006, 05:39 AM   #27
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I have no trouble with that. Especially since it's an extremely easy question.
Quote:
Rule 4: The Troubleshooting section is made for requesting help for running old games, especially those on this site (read rule #5 for complementary information). This means that this forum is not made to start an interesting conversation about any other kind of subject. For example, if you want to talk about your favorite game go to the Favorite Oldies and Newbies forum and start a thread there. If you want info on how to make hardware or software which are not games or related to making old games work on new computers, go to the Technical Stuff forum instead. This rule has been enforced a lot since I have been MOD of this place, and the direct consequence is having your thread moved to the right forum on sight. You will not be warned for doing such a thing unless it becomes obvious that they are intentional repeat offenses.
So the answer is very simple: his thread got moved because he didn't asked help for running a game, he asked help in finding a patch for the game. Slight, perhaps hardly noticeable difference you might say... However it's not the case. The Troubleshooting forum is populated by people who likes to help people run their games, while the Favorite Oldies and Newbies is mostly populated by people who don't want to bang their head to the walls to help people, but like to talk about games in general. So, the second reason why I moved the thread there is because the guy is simply more likely to actually find the help he wants there rather than in the Troubleshooting section. Add to this that I always keep a shadow thread in the Troubleshooting forum, all this end up doing is give the guy more visibility and this can only help him find a solution to his problem.

So, I hardly see what kind of problem this could lead us to. I'll try to cover your other questions.

Quote:
It is interesting that just after last time I posted comment on closing of topics in other languages, someone posted question and his topic almost got closed right away. (it was closed later, if I remember correctly)
This have absolutly nothing to do with you or anyone else. What I noticed is that it was probably a stunt or a bold move trying to turn the table in the non english speaking people favor while the "issue" was still being discussed. You said yourself not to kid ourselves... Then I guess you won't mind if I raise a pertinent question about the fact that there was absolutly no problem of this fashion for weeks, if not months, then several cases strangely errupted around the time the discussion took place...

Anyhow, this would not in any way make me think differently about how to approach the problem, since I would have warned then close the thread on the second offense like I'm used to do when something like this happen (and I beleives that's what happened too). I certainly don't want to go over this argument yet again, but as I said in the past all I'm doing is enforcing the board own rules. People need to post in english or they'll face thread lock if they don't comply.

Quote:
if you did not start to close topics for a no good reason.
I never do that. Closing without a reason, I mean. All my moderation actions are very well thought of, I never do something stupid, realise it and try to hide my tracks. I'd prefer to admit I actually did a mistake instead and excuse myself. I'm sure if you just ask me the reason on such or such occasion why I did something, I'll be able to give you a frank and sound answer immediatly.

For example, and you might be refering to that in the quote above, this thread. The reason I closed it is simple: I answered his question (which is so obvious I had to push myself to do) then closed the thread because there been a lot of negative newbie bashing recently (as well as newbie posting... But it's part of the job I guess). So I did that to protect him as well as to prevent yet another newbie bash or flame fest. I just knew I would need to step in somewhere in that thread to yet again call everyone back on topic, I simply saved time and probably another newb bashing fest anticipating the problem. Then the same user created a new topic saying he stumbled on another problem for the same game and that's not only perfect with me, but that's also what should be done in that forum when such things happen. So I'm pretty happy with that.

Anyways, as I said earlier I am fully aware of all my actions as moderator and I am fully ready to explain to anybody who would wish to understand what I did or do to anybody sending me a polite question over a PM.