Thread: Gaming Rant
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2009, 10:09 AM   #64
CrybKeeper
Game freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfly View Post
_r.u.s.s. mentioned Wasteland, and some might chalk it up to nostalgia, but I think it's something to consider.

With the older games, like Wasteland, you weren't overwhelmed by OPENNESS, the grand views and limitless potential. Oblivion is a huge mansion, but it feels somewhat empty... Wasteland is a cozy cottage and you feel at home.

With Wasteland, some might pooh-pooh the limitations, but, as a good book, it is up to the player to flex his/her imagination.

With Oblivion, with the grandness, we expect more grandness. We expect a lively world with limitless potential, yet we soon experience the blandness. Our senses, eyes and ears, tell us we're in a vast realm, but our interactions don't match up with the grandeur, there is an imbalance... That could be remedied, in one fashion, by including a chatty companion to break the monotony. Baldur's Gate II nailed that aspect.

At least in Fallout 3, we're traipsing around a desolate waste, so we shouldn't expect to find much hustle and bustle. In Oblivion, the world is teeming with life, but it doesn't really feel like it as we play.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas was similarly wide open and it had something to add spice to the recipe, a variety of cutscenes. These helped to give the world something to which we could relate, they helped create drama, I guess you'd call it. They're snippets, representative of what is actually going on around us in the homes and businesses, something we didn't have in Oblivion.
I can sort of agree with that, since I have played Oblivion quite bit thus far. The world is breathtaking graphics, but as you get deeper into the game, you see that it is rather empty of content and the monsters/enemies are not very diverse.

However, heavily modded game play can give some sense of balance.

As for Two Worlds- cannot get this game to play on either of my laptops. It hangs up and the frame rate skips so badly, you cannot make out what is going on. Maybe later, i'll try and solve this, but for now, it's all Oblivion for me.

I play as a spellsword and if you are on a laptop, I suggest disabling the mouse touch pad and plugging in a USB wireless mouse. This makes the sword play a bit more intuitive and eventually you learn how to make your character look good whilst battling enemies. Also helps with rapid firing spells and arrows, while jumping and spinning quick 360's.

If I had to vote on which Bethesda game is best, I would vote Morrowind: Graphics are good enough to make you feel immersed in the game, while content is quite varacious and very entertaining.
CrybKeeper is offline                         Send a private message to CrybKeeper