Thread: Ascendancy
View Single Post
Old 14-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #525
Oskatat
Game freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
What I linked you to was a tutorial for beginners.
You didn't bother to read it, did you?

if you didnt know yet, to add to the Horsemans post, you need dosbox to run most of the very old games. it simulates the old DOS environment for it. There are many programs around that simulate such "environments". Dosbox is one of the best for DOS games (not for high seas trader) but there are also simulators (called emulators) for, for example, playstation, nintendo or nintendo gameboy platforms. I assume the term platform is known to you

to reply/add to some old posts, galactic civilizations is in some ways very much the same, though quite different. the map, for example isnt 3d, you can just look at it from different angles. costumizing starships is fun, making em beatifull may take time though.

to add some advice for this game actually, i usually colonize ALL planets in a system. Even at the highest ai settings with some patches, the AI still ignores planets without improvements. Having only orbital batteries in place basically means they'll ignore it even as it is shooting at it. Having long range orbital whoppers in several orbits will destroy any enemy before he can invade. system defence batteries. Wont work when the planet revolves around the sun and cant hit the enmey, but its worth that posibility

expanding moon colonies to full colonies is NOT worth it, nor is it for any colony without significant bonuses, since by this time your economy and research dont need it anyway. Having a weapons platform being ignored can be wrth much more

note also that planetary shields have a HP total and any attack lowers it, and it never, or very slowly degrades/increases strength again. Once a planet has been attacked it is usually best to replace the shield. Having more whoppers (are you sure this game isnt sponsored by burgerking) is better than more shields, also since you wont know which one to replace

to be honest, even with ai patches etc, this was one of the easiest strategy games i played

Last edited by Oskatat; 14-07-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Oskatat is offline                         Send a private message to Oskatat