Thread: Airborne Ranger
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2005, 04:16 PM   #3
tempblmk
One of the first games that I actually bought for my Atari ST back in the days.
I still have the box, the disks, manual etc as I do for some other ST games.

The game is like Ghost Recon, only in kinda isometric 2D. You get missions and you get to choose your equipment. You also choose 1 or 2 extra bags that are dropped somewhere along the map to resupply yourself, if you can reach them that is. You choose more or less where to be airdropped and pray that the wind doesn't take you far away. After that you slowly move upward and finish yoru mission.
The animation is not the best, but it is not bad considering when the game was made. The ST graphics were better, but, nothing spectacular even for that.
The game was a great fun to play and it was till the days of modern FPS tactical shooters, the best tactical shooter on any computer IMO.
This is not a shoot everything in sight game, you will be slaughtered if you take this like any other shoot 'em 'up game. It required patience, thinking, and luck.
One of my favourite actions was to sneak inside a ditch and slowly crawl my way behind an enemy soldier and (to be quiet) use my knife to "get rid of him". Excellence in gaming!

Hmm, I need to register one day soon.