View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 04:27 AM   #10
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatty View Post
People seem to have less imagination today (gamers and developers/publishers alike) and they like (making) games that don't demand much from them. Many of us gamers from earlier have a hard time to adapt to the change of time, knowing different times, and might have trouble to follow the current trend.
Problem with that idea for me that it is looks like that no one actually checked, if people really have less imagination. How you can check if people wants more challenge, if you haven't any place to put this challenge in? It's developers who lead the crowd into "we knows better" pathway, not people itself. Look on many games of 90s: it had "secret zones" and bypasses in most action games, it had arcade/simulation modes for simulators, even such adventures as Monkey Island or Leasure Suit Larry had several modes of play. And I even doesn't touch System Shocks with it's several sliders for puzzles, action and timing. What we have now in most cases? Linear pipeline with optional "achievements" here and there. If game have two ways to target, it's already counts as hardcore RPG-puzzle, it seems!
Quote:
However it's obvious that it isn't all that unsuccessful as some might believe, as demand for today's (less imaginative? arguable) games is there.
Oh, problem with current games is not lack of demand right now. Problem is that every game naturally have it's level of "feeding", and when most your auditory will be fed up with one of your games, they actually will have enough of it all. And what you will do then, if you haven't any other offers? Game over? I don't understand that. It seems, current gaming world lives with 'no tomorrow' mindset.
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre