View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #48
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Dungeons of Dredmoor

Man, this game'd deserve it's own active topic so much!

It is basically a modern version of Dungeon Hack in the sense it is a totally randomised dungeon-crawling experience.

It has some important differences though.
First: at the start you can't switch too many things. You can only set the difficulty and wether you want to go with the original setting of "until first death", or you allow yourself a reload (I THINK it is a reload, as I did not try that).

This "hardcore" basic setting is really exciting, although sometimes very dangerous, but really adds to the game's tactical aspect, as it works in a turn based system.

The other, and most obvious difference is: there is The Major Villain! You don't meet much background story or lore, but it means heaven and earth.

Not that there wouldn't be a ton of ingame description and joke. There is. Although 99% of the time you don't bother with them. But as the game is quite hugh despite its simplicity, you'll most probably meet with them anyway. For example one of the skill-tree is copied from the original Diablo's first boss: The Butcher.

About skills: the game offers something for everyone, and they're quite balanced. There are overcomplicated skills like Necronomiconomicon, or vampirism (designed from the twilight saga, hey, why else would it have the skill "sparkling", eh?), or the very streightforward weapon skills.

Currently I try my luck with a very simple build:
- mace: originally I tried axes, but I realised I can separate monsters from each other, what is even pretty much advisable. The most easy way to die is to suffer a couple of critical hits in a row. And while swords offer some additional damage, maces can offer some extra distance. After gaining shoplifting I put a point here, as that means a difference of life and death from level 2.
- two weapons: if you ask me the best defense is offense. At least in current day games finding strong defensive equipments (in this case shields) is doubtfull. Oh, and even without a single spent skillpoint it functions well: full damage when you hold two weapons instead using a shield.
- burglary: this gives unlimited lockpicks what mean exp. To be honest I'm not sure what happens if you run out of lockpicks, what is a possible threat in a randomised game. I think you can kick doors open, but I'm not sure about locked chests (what means items). Gaining "five finger discount" skill in this tree right at the start (go down to level 2 as soon as possible 'cause shops are rarer there and the exp is more) means more chance stealing something good from the shops. Also the "ninja vanish" is a pretty awesome escape ability.
- mathemagics: pretty much my only magic skill currently. The main reason I chose this is the initial teleport ability: it places you random location, but it is a teleport (there are some "island" locations), and is a last resort cheap escape skill (it even brings you through walls). The other abilities it offers are also all handy.
- assassination: I chose this mainly for its passive bonuses, as most skills here provide that. Also gives more stunning ability, so it combines very well with maces.
- berserker rage: even more damage without the need of thinking. Also offers a hugh bonus to a magic resistance, what can come in handy at a certain point I'm sure.
- big game hunter: well, this was pretty much a spacefiller skill of choice. It provides some extra exp, some extra hp, tons of hit chance, and even a summoning skill what don't depend on some stupid magic skill

Appart the skill-developement of the game there is another cRPG aspect of it, namely how you get your items.
One choice is to get every coin you get and buy in the local shop's random offers. If anything I sell the traps I picked up here 'cause if I lay it down, unlike other items, they disappear (theoretically "used up" on some out of screen random monster).
The second is to get one or more of the crafting skill. The problem with that is, you need to invest a lot of levelup reward (aka. skillpoint) to rise them to the necessary level. Not to mention you'll have to find the necessary ingredients (I saw sometimes 1 ingredient in a recipe can count more then one time, but possibly it just appears so and not works that way), AND finaly you have to find the recipes for it (the "secret" recipes are much better options). Yes, you can't use some metaknowledge for the best recipes. Currently I'm not into this option, but I see it can be pretty good. And oh yeah, this game offers that many items like in an Ultima game (but the areas are much more compound, so no trouble there).
There is a third option too. There is an item "Lutefisk horadric cube" or what, what you can exchange at Lutefisk altairs for possible items. Here comes the tricky part: the item of course will be random, AND you can't quit without saving. BUT There is an autosave too. So what you should do is to wait until an autosave happens when you're around the statue, THEN go and exchange your sacrifise. If it isn't anything usable save&quit, and reload the autosave to try again.
The last thing here to mention is an enchanting anvil you find like 2 per level. It can give a random attribute to the item you place on it. Can be either good or bad. So play the same trick here again.

Lutefisk is a food what gives 1 hp otherwise. There are all kind of hidden effects for all kinds of items (to be honest magic wands and mushrooms are not even told what they do).

So bottom's up, what one of the three expansions this games offers 15 levels of dungeon crawling, and this time I like it! At every turn watch your health, and don't be afraid to run away! Climb back to a higher level to heal (if you're not a vampire you gain back hp by time), and descend via another stairway if you have to