Thread: Which Os?
View Single Post
Old 22-01-2005, 01:32 AM   #8
feminista
Abandonia nerd

I'm a linux user at heart, Slackware specifically, but I don't use it primarily yet, because my hardware is pretty limited. My best machine is an oldish mac (G4, 466MHz), which I'm using right now. I love macs, and get frequently frustrated at stupid windows problems. My mac also happens to be customized, if you'll forgive the expression, up the arse, which means I often find myself frustrated using out-of-the-box macs that people haven't made the effort to 1337 out with all the woderful third-party software out there. So it's either highly customized mac, or non-RPM-based Linux (with Gnome and some terminal integration software).

But of course, you're probably wondering how I play DOS games. I've got a computer which I got for free, \m/ 450MHz Celeron \m/, which I added a bunch of RAM to to make it run XP and most of what I need it for. It won't run DOSBOX, really, but it can run most games with VDMSound, and I don't need to play too many newer games. It actually will run Ragnarok Online, amazingly, which was fun when a friend of mine ran a Vidar server. The server's pretty empty now though. Anyway, it does what it's designed to do, which is just run old stuff.

But in a year or two, I'll have a nice new compiling-oriented PC-compatible box running Slackware, and I'll be happy.
feminista is offline                         Send a private message to feminista