Thread: Darklands
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2005, 07:56 AM   #17
THE DUDE.
Talking

>>>problems getting the voice part to initilize in the dosbox running of darklands? This is where you hear churchbells in the opening as the gargoyle flies by, and the girl saying "welcome to darklands, ...welcome" <<<

If I remember correctly, you only get these sounds (and certain other sounds during gameplay) if you're using the "Soundblaster" setup - you won't get it with Adlib, etc (I could be wrong though - not sure). When I installed it on my latest computer (XP), I could not get it to run properly using DOSBOX. So I tried running it on VDMsound and it works great - full sound support, no crashes, etc.

By the way, regarding sequels - the following is from the original manual:

QUOTE:
SEQUELS: Darklands was designed to permit sequels. It is possible to have some additional adventures in Germany. More importantly, it is possible to create entirely new games elsewhere in Europe. The system not only allows moving "saved game" files back and forth, but also allows you to load multiple games onto your hard disk and move back and forth between the nations, in a sort of giant adventure. Let us know what you enjoyed in Darklands, what you would like to see in a sequel, and what setting you prefer. There are plenty of possibilities: the Emperor in Germany has many political problems and intrigues, England and France are busy finishing the last half of the Hundred Years War, after which England falls into civil war (the War of the Roses). Meanwhile, Italy is at the peak of its warring city-states era, Vlad the Impaler appears in the Balkans (the historical figure who ultimately became Dracula), Tamerlane is conquering Central Asia, and much more. What's your preference?

Arnold Hendrick, 1992
ENDQUOTE

Ah, if only...

And finally, the graphics are fine, the music is beautiful (given it's digital limitations), and the game is great - the best ever.