Thread: Darkstone
View Single Post
Old 28-06-2005, 06:17 AM   #8
rabadi
New(bie) Kid on the Linux Users' Block

Finished playing the game for the third time last night. Overall I like it quite much although it is definitely not the best Diablo clone out there. The 3D perspective does not bother me that much, I can always zoom in/out and rotate the camera to my liking, so for me it is a nice change from static 2D isometric Diablo view.

There are 100 saving slots, and I can save at anytime. After finishing one run of the game, I can use my characters to play Darkstone again at higher level. As Koen said, the maps change everytime (well, may not be everytime, not too sure about this since I have only played 3 times, but nevertheless there is some random thing going on), and so you can get different quests.

The monsters do not respawn, so I enjoy the feeling of "clearing the area from monsters". Diablo fans who enjoy having respawn monsters may not like this, but for me it's not a problem.

As I mentioned above, getting older is one feature of the game I don't really like, but then again it is no longer a problem once I can afford to buy potion of youth. The need to eat is also no problem once I learn the forester skill and food spell. Having the magic door spell is also nice, saving me from running back to town to sell my old equipments. I still have not found any spells related to turning unwanted loot into gold, though. The price of spells and amulets can cost a fortune at times, but they are still affordable once you collect enough gold.

A nice game, I recommend it. If this game ever becomes abandonware in the future, I'll volunteer to write a review for it
rabadi is offline                         Send a private message to rabadi