View Single Post
Old 13-10-2010, 01:55 PM   #3
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Thanks, kippo.

About showing a 3D heli model, I'm really not sure. As a pilot, my focus is on the rotor hub (the moving end of the line) and the rotor mast (the line) and the difficulties in keeping oriented reaches an impossible level if I focus on anything else. However, I do need an indicator that shows where the nose is pointing. An arrow works fine. Or, imagine a right angled hex key, the long side being the mast, the short being the nose. The idea is to keep the amount of information the pilot has to process to a bare minimum, and all he needs to consider will be the line (mast) and an indicator/arrow (nose).

The crucial thing is, it is the circular disc's tilt- (and consequently the mast's tilt-) direction that will determin where the heli is going to move. As a circle, there is no such thing as "front", "left", "right" or "backwards". All directions are equal to a circle. The nose reference's sole purpose is to tell the pilot where he needs to move the right stick to tilt the mast in the desired direction. Therefor, a line and not a full heli model, will be the best way to learn, the way I see it. Or in other words: the disc and mast are all that really matter, the rest is only there for the ride.