View Single Post
Old 24-12-2007, 02:09 PM   #5
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Sounds interesting... could you make maybe a tutorial doc. how to do it?
I'll try to.

First copy the DOSBox shortcut somwhere - your Desktop or a directory on your Desktop will do just fine.
Now, right-click the shortcut and go to Properties >> Shortcut tab >> Target Element box. It will contain something like that:
"C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.70\dosbox.exe" -conf "C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.70\dosbox.conf"

Now, if we change it to:
"C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.70\dosbox.exe" -conf "C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.70\dosbox.conf" -conf "C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.70\Configs\power dolls.conf" -noconsole
It will run the settings from Dosbox.conf and then override them with any present in Power Dolls.conf (which only has to contain the settings you want to change from your standard config - autoexec section, scaler and graphics config are all that's usually needed.

You might notice the example "Power Dolls.conf" is ran from a Configs subdirectory. This isn't neccesary, but I find it easier to maintain order in my configs that way.

The autoexecs of both configs are executed both, in the order the config files were declared, so the one from Dosbox.conf is executed first and then followed with the one of Power Dolls.conf.
That's really the whole trick.

Only thing is, if your Dosbox.conf is set to run Norton Commander from its autoexec you'll have to remove that line so it does not interfere with the games' autoexecs. The way I did it, Norton is ran from an autoexec line included in NC.conf which my "plain" standard Dosbox shortcut was set to run right after the standard config file.

PS. I'll write a more detailed guide with example illustrations early next year.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman