Thread: Www Browser
View Single Post
Old 29-07-2005, 12:33 AM   #9
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

OK, let me answer each one of you. :-)

Firefox apart from the occasional remaining of ghost image (that eats very real memory) it also does not care if I want a new link to open in a new tab, no matter what option I have on/off. Unless I right click on the link and choose open in new tab it refuses to do so.
Plus it crashes one time every couple of days.
It is version 1.0.4
Extensions I have are Flashblock, Play Launch, PopupSound, Basics, Copy All Urls, Duplicate Tab, HashColouredTabs, Magpie, QuickTabPrefToggle, SessionSave.2, Super DragAndGo, Tab X, BetterSearch.
All of them lovely but irrelevant to the problems since the problems existed BEFORE I installed any of them.

I have Java 2 Standard Edition 1.4.2_04 with Defualt Virtual Machine Version 1.4.2_04-b05 and plug in 1.4.2_04 I doubt this has anything to do with the problems.

MdaG, re installing windows is a no no for me, the system works amazingly well, though I am sure it will not survive the year. I also have everything ever wanted installed and the GUI and other settings in perfect harmony, I am not going to erase them because of buggy browser software. I agree I used to do the same but apart from that windows work flawlessly, at times I leave it on for days and days without problems.

swiss, I do not have SP2 installed. I have SP1 with all SP2 that were allowed to be installed without installing the SP2 from windows update. I will NOT install SP2 even if I need to re install windows some day. I have a back up idea for that case.

Firewall and antivirus I think are not very relevant to the exact problems facing this time. All in all I am very happy with the ones I use.
I am also very careful about what programs I install so I do not think that that has anything to do with it this time.

I am not sure that my cpu has hyperthreading. It is a Pentium M 4 @1.7 edition oh 2002.

I haven't tried Mozilla for some time now (even before the Firefox got its name) but I do not think I want to go back to that.

The problem I mentioned with Netscape 8.03 is a known bug since others are having it too.
Opera is have some serious memory management problems with version 8+ mainly leaks. I don't know if they will fix them but I hope so.

Thanks for trying to help guys.

My guess is then that none of you use any other browser?
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios