View Single Post
Old 21-12-2019, 08:53 AM   #466
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Baldur's Gate 1-2-ToB Poverty Run notes

Things got darn difficult for this one, need to sort my notes. So:

- you totaly can throw away that basic quarterstaff.
- the main issue is causing damage. So you'll use Magic Missle a lot, and even unarmed fighting. If youthrew away thatquarterstaff, you'll need Magic Missle as a finishing move!
- there aren't many damage spells, and the other problem is the casting speed.
- the damage magic progression is something like this: magic missile, mel'f acidic arrow as supplementary spell (because of FireTrolls in ToB it is even unavoidable), Melf's minute meteors, summon planetar. And that's pretty much it.

- energy blades are fine, with the exception they don't bypass magic resistance. I still needed them against Darconis, but probably that wasn't optimal.
- being a sorcerer/ess ganing enough spell slot, I mean number of casting is a nuisance.
- because prime source of damage is weapon-dependent, you better have high dexterity and strength
- strenght is desperatly needed to carry around stuff, and possibly to bash locks
- stealth (from familiar in my case) helps immensly in BG1
- you can circumgo saving throws various ways, mostly sending out summons.
- mordekainen's sword is mostly a defensive summon, and a good one
- spiders are cheap summon still
- there are many spells, but useful spells are a rarity
- there are always quests around with easier opponents.
- removing the exp-cap (I mean having only the 8 mill cap) is convenient
- skull traps are higly unreliable,and are magic damage,and somehow can hurt mordekainen's sword
- improved invisibility can break most fights against casters
- there are plenty enough gold quest rewards, no need to pick up any
- doing a poverty run is extremly straightforward, no option for diversity in whatyou are doing, so do this only if you start get bored by the game anyway
- the mind shield from deckof many things is NOT permanent
- poverty run shown how perfectly measured the stat bonuses in the not-EE edition were.
- the mainattraction of the game is the fixed variety it offers. Partymembers, gadgets and abilities allwait to be collected. All of them are fixed, at fixed places, and they come in great quantities.
- magic golems can only be hurt with nonenchanted WEAPONS? Nonenchanted DAMAGE is not enough? You can avoid these either way,and you only meet them 2 times.
- the Death Spell is very convenient, and I mean strong, but usualy you just do raw damage obviously instead
- might be interresting to do a holy caster based run. I don't think I have enough in me for that though. Wonder what the key factors there would be, but obviously such never-used spells like holy hammer, and its counterparts will come into play
- I have no idea why certain enemies gostraight for the protagonist (maybe they'd be ok with party members?)
- Updated spell list:
lvl 1: 1) find familiar 2) magic missile 3) (identify) 4) prot from evil 5) prot from petrification
lvl 2: 1) knock2) melf's acidic arrow 3) mirror image 4) resist fear 5) (blur)
lvl 3: 1) ghost armor 2) melf's minute meteors 3) skull trap 4) - 5) -
lvl 4: 1) improved invisibility 2) stone skin 3)spider spawn 4) - 5) -
lvl 5: 1) spell immunity 2) (prot from electricity) 3) sunfire 4) (cloudkill) 5) -
lvl 6: 1) death spell 2) prot. from magic weapons 3) true sight 4) improved haste 5) (true sight
lvl 7: 1) mordekainen's sword 2) limited wish 3) (khelben's warding whip) 4) - 5) -
lvl 8: 1) pierce shield 2) abi dhalzim's 3) (simulacrum) 4) -
lvl 9: 1) chain contignency X) dragon's breath X) summon planetar 2) wish 3) time stop 4) improved alactricity
- don't realy have any idea for the current run against Abazigail, the Ravager, Amelyssan, and I'm not sure about Balthazar either (maybe he can be occupied by mordekainen).