View Single Post
Old 06-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #291
Temporary
Default Some additional tidbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble View Post
Temporary, thanks for the detailed and valuable info!
No problem. I am surprised someone found it of any interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFibble
[...]the non-interactive demo versions. Those are not the same as preview videos that were published on some Interactive Entertainment CD, are they?
The "non-interactive demo" is the same as the media distributed in issue five of Interactive Entertainment, only packaged as a self-playing file. The two first "demos" of the game are those; the media folder, and a self-playing version of it. (Treat them as one, add the two early pre-release demos and the demo Blizzard had on their FTP and you get a grand total of four.) If you are aware of any video version of IE's distro, I would be happy to know, too. In any case, the demo was supposed to be shown at the last summer CES 1994 in Chicago (before CES became a winter-only event), but I am unaware of it being shown there. It might have been; Blizzard did not exactly have a major presence there.

I am sure you know the media is the same as this content:
http://cd.textfiles.com/ie/ie05/ARTICLES/WARC/

The images in the media folder show the game as it was intended in early 1994; no roads needed for buildings, three resources (stone being the third; this idea was revisited in Warcraft 2 Alpha), units are spawned spontaneously (perhaps in a sort of like nod to Dune II), advanced units are essentially trained peasants/peons, and so on.

Quote:
Wow, that's certainly something that was unknown to me. Cool!
You are most certainly welcome. There are some other minor differences in the demos, such as spell costs (1000 gold vs 750 gold), neither sounds or animations when casting said spells, an abominable AI, different terrain and unit graphics, different data file compression, et cetera.

Quote:
BTW, research by Litude [...] indicates that there are no less than four demo versions of Warcraft:
Indeed, and that is exactly what I mentioned.

Also, sorry about the brain f*rt in my previous post; the "Human Map 8" was dropped earlier, there is only one 'eighth map', it is "Orc Map 8" (a rather unfinished Swamp map based on Human Map 1, if I recall correctly). You can re-create the map from the game data, if you so want. Just use WarDraft and it's a cinch.

Anyways, I hope this helps.