Thread: Ascendancy
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2009, 01:32 AM   #503
Glyphstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrylanxus View Post
To bypass the CD requirement, your COB.CFG file (in the C:\ascend folder)must read as follows:

ASCEND00.COB
ASCEND01.COB
ASCEND02.COB

with a CR/LF character at the end of each line (i.e. hit the <ENTER> key).

The file COB.CFG is a DOS ASCII text file. Altering this file within Windows Notepad may result in a file that won't work (since Notepad uses a Windows ANSI standard, unless you change it). I don't know. Because I do not use Windows Notepad for any reason. I use HTML-Kit 292 since its native format, regardless of added extension, is DOS ASCII text. And it will read UNIX/LINUX text correctly which Notepad will not. (I am a Linux and UNIX user and hate Windows...)

Each of the COB files listed above MUST be in the C:\ascend folder. If not, then simply move the files with your favorite file manipulator program.

Some further help is available on my website here:

Ascendency

I will be the first to admit that I need to do some more work on this site, but I think it is at least good. I will never admit it is the bestest and greatest. But I think it may help.

rmfr
Cool site - I loved how much fluff went into the manual, and you've copied a lot of it in.

unfortunately, your fix doesn't seem to work for me, so I'm doing something wrong. I edited the .CFG file with HTML-KIT 292 to read the following:

ASCEND00.COB
ASCEND01.COB
ASCEND02.COB
E:\DATA\ASCEND02.COB

and it still wants the CD to run it. I also tried

ASCEND00.COB
ASCEND01.COB
ASCEND02.COB

removing Line 4 entirely, but the problem persisted.
Glyphstone is offline                         Send a private message to Glyphstone