Thread: Diggers
View Single Post
Old 29-04-2012, 07:18 AM   #16
shinkeninmyobi
Default Clarification on Controls

This is the only place on the net where I could find any discussion of this game. This was a surprise considering that Diggers was a childhood classic for me (I'm talking hundreds and hundreds of hours). I recently tried to install it from the original CD-ROM on WIN7 with little success (big surprise there). Finally, I got it to run in DOSBox off the disk. Unfortunately I've been unable to figure out how to generate save files so I can't start losing my life again to it yet.

Some clarification on the controls for those who fell prey the the horrible mouse-based interface.

D + Directional button = Tell your dude to dig in the direction you command
Space Bar = Wait/Stop Digging etc.
X = Pick up Gems
T = Teleport back to base
H = Enter home base
Shift + Directional button = Run in a given direction
Up Arrow = Jump
1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 = Switch focus to the corresponding digger (1-5)

There's probably other miscellaneous commands I've missed (sleep, etc).

I HAVENT been able to figure out how to do a diagonal digging pattern from the keyboard yet. It used to be the 7, 9, 1, and 3 keys on the numpad. So that's the one time I'll use the lousy right click interface.

Once you get the hang of using the keyboard for everything it becomes totally possible to be efficient with all five of your dudes at once. I couldn't even imagine trying to play this game with that mouse menu interface so props to anyone out there that's been able to get any enjoyment playing like that. For everyone else, I can feel your pain but give the game a second chance using the keyboard and I think you'll better understand why some folks really praise it.