View Single Post
Old 20-12-2010, 06:05 PM   #7
Japo
Autonomous human

That diference between subroutine and function was not original from Pascal, both Basic and Fortran had it, I guess it's a tradition created by the latter, but no language designed nowadays (outside the Basic family) keeps it. I never considered it didactic, on the contrary, when I moved from QBasic to C that was one of the things I was happy to see gone. Specially since most versions of most of these languages soon decided to allow you--just like C or other more modern ones, but with more awkward syntax--to call a function as a subroutine, discarding the return value.

Fubb, C++ is one of the languages hardest to understand, that's its major drawback, because its design process was a mess and it was constrained by being a superset of C. (Many languages do many things C++ does with far easier and more elegant syntax.) So if C++ is the language you work most with, I wouldn't worry about not understanding any language that you haven't seen before, that's just to be expected. And there's probably no reason for you to ever try Pascal.

Last edited by Japo; 20-12-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo