View Single Post
Old 10-09-2006, 09:02 PM   #3
Treewyrm
Abandonia nerd

I understand it, like I said some settings vary from system to system, however normally each game have certain settings at which it will run smooth and perfect granted the system at which DosBox is running can handle required amount of cycles. All this is about trial & error most of the time. People are using gui frontends for DosBox but even then they can hardly understand what those settings mean.

Uploading dosbox.conf isn't right thing I think. There is no real need in full configuration file for each game but a sections fragment which describe specific settings at which game should run ok. Perhaps there should be "advanced tutorial" (I don't think there is anything advanced in basic text file manipulation, but some people might think otherwise) explaning how to add those fragments into configuration file.

I think abandonia should also mention about unofficial DosBox builds such as "daum cafe". They often can help when official build cannot. Of course they are supposed to be less stable and more experimental but I think any advanced old-school gamer shouldn't worry much about that. Glide emulation support can be also helpful for some of those 3dfx era dos games. After all we just want to make those old gems run as they did back at their days.

A little example is Albion, I was able to make it run absolutely perfectly including intro cinematics (and all that beauty with opengl smooth pixel blurring) only with daum cafe build.
Treewyrm is offline                         Send a private message to Treewyrm