View Single Post
Old 28-06-2006, 10:01 PM   #69
Scatty
Treasure hunter

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mactheknife @ Jun 28 2006, 01:11 AM) [snapback]240099[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I don't need to use Dosbox, as I run the game on an old 486 pc I have sitting around, it's great for retro games, you can pick them for next to nothing. We abandonware fans should all get one, it makes life so much easier, just fit a cd-rom drive, sound card, and you're away!

Anyhow, when I try to setup the game on this accient pc, it says in the install program, that the sound files are not installed, even though I know they are. The game runs very well on my newer computer an AMD-K6 II 450mHz, 56Mb ram, I get the sound, ie the Avatar walking around fighting stuff, and opening doors, but I can't get the music to work?

The AMD has a soundblaster emulator, so I thought that was the problem, but the 486 has a true Creative SB16, but the sound does'nt work at all, I get a message, saying "sound initialization failed" or something similar, can you help?
[/b]
It's simply. First you choose the soundcard for music and sound in the install.exe and save it. Ignore if it says anything about a card not detected or similar. After that, you need to run the small program that's located in the same folder called uwsound.exe. If you don't have it for whatever reason, PM me and I can send it to you through email.
In it you can see if the sound and speech are detected. If one of them isn't, you can choose the fitting number for menu and manually change the adresses. For me in DosBox it's by default after the game is installed IRQ 5 by which the speech isn't detected, so I changed it to IRQ 7 and it worked. I suppose you have same or similar values set by your soundcard's driver, so you might need to change the IRQ like I did.

After you change the values and the detection works for both sound and speech, choose 3. Exit and Save and your problems should be solved and the game fully playable. Good luck.

Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty