Thread: Pipe Mania
View Single Post
Old 24-08-2018, 10:04 AM   #26
Banjo

Default Pipe Mania (UK) to Pipe Dreams (US) patch

The version here at Abandonia is the UK "Pipe Mania" version of the DOS port, however the US port was called "Pipe Dream" and was distributed by LucasArts.

For those who have nostalgic memories of playing the US "Pipe Dream" version but can only find the UK "Pipe Mania" version, I've made a quick cosmetic patch that will transform the UK release into the US one, complete with alternate title screen, logo screen and even the US readme file.

Note that I am unaware if there were any other differences between Pipe Mania and Pipe Dream for DOS; all art and level files seem identical, but I've been unable to find an uncracked original copy of the US "Pipe Dream" 'pipe.exe' executable file to compare. At the least, though, this patch will transform your copy of "Pipe Mania" cosmetically into "Pipe Dream", even if there were minor gameplay changes (which I doubt).

INSTRUCTIONS:
To convert an installed copy of "Pipe Mania" to "Pipe Dream", simply copy the included files...
EGATITLE.PIC
LOGO.PIC
README
... into the game's folder (e.g. 'C:\PIPE'), overwriting if asked.

Run the game in DOS (or via DOSBox on modern machines) with the 'pipe.exe' executable, and you should now for all intents and purposes be playing the US "Pipe Dream" version!

Hope this helps bring back a little more nostalgia for a few folks.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Pipe_UK-US.zip (13.3 KB, 61 views)
Banjo is offline                         Send a private message to Banjo