View Single Post
Old 29-01-2009, 05:58 PM   #18
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
I didn't ask him. He should have told the charcter his opinion though, another thing that would have needed some refinement. Sure the script-writer can come up with blah-blah about the differences of lethal radiation A and lethal radiation B if the main character HAS to die if wants to go out in a glowing blaze of glory, but at the moment it seemed reasonable to employ the supah mutie's remarkable radiation resistance.
Ah but you COULD still talk to him and ask him and he gave his explanation. Your father had just died and it was obvious that your character wanted to die for your father's project as well rather than risk someone else. It's also mentioned that the radiation is extremely high - most likely higher than what Super Mutants can withstand (you speak of realism of radiation but heavy radiation incinerates particles so no living organism could withstand it).

Quote:
Besides radiation was rather like a decoration than a real factor. The only time the character got seriously radiated was when I did it on purpose. Otherwise I had a ****load of rad-aways, so when he had the itch I quickly applied one. In a blasted area, you should be bombed with radiation all the time.
I've heard this argument many times and while you do have a point, it's still a rather weak one. For starters, many craters DO have radiation. But let's take a look at more realistic radiation.

STALKER is probably the only other game that has radiation as invisible nemesis and while I loved the game, I do see that the brain scorcher zone was too much trial and error. Stepping two feet ahead would see you suddenly bathing in heavy radiation which is realistic but it means having to quickload unless you want to run out of anti-rad in no time.

Real radiation is quite different from what you may believe. While craters would most likely have a bigger amount of radiation, you need to take into account that metal absorbs radiation and holds it for a very long time. Basically, just about every metal item in Fallout 3 would be heavily radioactive. And guess what: there's TONS of the stuff. Imagine receiving a constant dose just by wearing armour and a weapon. It wouldn't make for a nice game. That's why, for example, you're not allowed to wear any jewellery when you visit Chernobyl and Pypriat (something which I plan to do this fall).

Fallout 3 is still a game after all and realism has its limited when you want to keep it fun. STALKER was a far more tense game - a gritty dark and realistic game in many ways - but Fallout 3 is a lot lighter. It wouldn't have fit the game. Don't forget FO1&2 didn't have high radiation sources either.

Quote:
Mods can adjust all this stuff mentioned, the sad thing is that it should have been the job of the devs. Morrowind was a great game, but since that I always have the impression that their hit releases were made with careless haste. Shiny at first sight, then you find out tons of its drawbacks.
Bethesda simply keeps it a streamlined game. The result is that the mod community has an incredible amount of room to play and I'm convinced that this is part of Bethesda's strategy. Oblivion was a LOT weaker than Fallout 3 in its vanilla form so it desperately needed mods. Fallout 3 has its flaws but at least it's interesting and fun to explore. There's tons of room for new locations including tons of new quests as well though and I see this as a positive thing. I know how annoying it is to mod for games which are already packed - like Deus Ex for example.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar