View Single Post
Old 28-01-2009, 10:42 AM   #15
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
- The engine would need some major upgrade for the upcoming games. Moving around is a bit awkward, I'm still missing fat people (or hell, some crippled ones!). Weather was missed badly! Some acid rains or wind-storms to make life harder and force you to hide for a while. Yeah, too bad that with this engine it would still rain on you if you are under shelter.
Yeah I figure there will be mods taking care of weather but indeed: you might see odd results due toe the limits of the engine.

Quote:
- I reached level 20 too fast, too easy. There are some totally useless perks, and some utterly broken (Finesse, Better Criticals, Sniper combo -> I got bored after a while aiming at heads and watching them pop like an acne). Don't bother with picking skills, you really end up topped at almost all of them (the ones that count). And while fast travelling: why, oh why did they take Outdoors out?! The guy shouldn't avoid every ambushes. Bottomline of this: More Skills, Please! Not all of them might be uber-kickass but they might give some spice to the otherwise tasteless character.
A few comments: I used command line codes to set me back to level 19 every time I levelled. This way I could keep levelling up to 20 and improve my skills and perks. Without this, I saw little reason to continue exploring. I'm sure a proper mod will let you reach level 40 and will let enemies scale accordingly.

The outdoor was taken out for several reasons: it wouldn't have worked in first person, it was annoying and sucky in Fallout 1&2 you ended up quicksaving/loading anyway, it was bland and boring - nearly always empty flat terrain, etc. I myself avoided fast travel and walked everywhere except when dumping stuff in my shack.

Quote:
- The repair system is lame. The devs could have really found some use for all that junk out there... Imagine how great it would be to set up own missions like going out scavenging for rare parts to fix your sniper scope. Anyway, weapons shouldn't degrade fast as they do and you definately shoudn't be able to take apart and add parts to your AK while three ghouls are charging at you. Also it would be more realistic if a visual inventory would appear to backup the weight allowance to avoid packing up five armors and nine guns and still jump around with ease.
Expect mods to make a system like this. I personally would have loved being able to repair my guns with spare parts as well but I like the current system regardless of this.

The only cheat I used in Fallout 3, was to boost the amount I could carry. Mostly because I hated running back and forward - it's dull and pointless. It may not be realistic but it takes away an annoyance.

Quote:
- Music could have been better, I can recall one track that got a cool industrial tone and a sinister impression, yet I was disgusted to hear some Oblivionish tunes. Apart from these and the main menu score is there any other? Even if there are they didn't leave much impression on me.
After half an hour of playing, I had already downloaded the Fallout 2 soundtrack (free to download) and replaced FO3's with FO2's music. Trust me, it really makes the game feel a lot more familiar and better. FO2's music kicked ass in so many ways.

Quote:
Same with NPC voices. There is some improvement from Oblivion, but encountering that gay "imperial" voiceover again trying to act tough in Fallout 3 is a bit embarassing. Cut all the audio-dialogs if needed and employ more actors for important NPCs, but not this dull **** please! How cool Sulik was for an instance! :thumbs: (I have to mention Harold here, the ghoul with a branch growing on his head from F2, who is the funniest character in this episode.) Has been mentioned, will double it: more people in settlements. That includes more junkies, more *****s, more thugs, etc.
The problem is that most people in FO1&2 had no voices. In FO3 EVERYONE had a voice and this means that you have limits. Voice actors are very expensive.

Quote:
- Quests and static AI: The game could use some factor that would urge the player to set up missions for himself and while the wastes are "neat" and catchy some friendly interaction would've been fun there. To pinpoint out the soulles mechanism of the AI reaction and conversation options, I can mention my character's companion, Fawkes. When the two rushed in to the Citadel no one really gave a **** about him, not even at the final decision. Fawkes got the GECK out of the radiation-polluted room, you know. And maybe might be too much to code, but I checked on Three Dog after Doc James died to see if there's any note from him on the occasion. Guess what. :notrust:
If you had asked him, he'd told you it was your moment, not his - that's why he didn't want to go in.

I'll add more later

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar