View Single Post
Old 20-09-2012, 03:46 AM   #4
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
.....Then, knowing XP would not really work well with multiple cores....
Euuurrhhh, nope, you got something wrong here.
XP works swell on multiple core PCs.
Drawback is that you lose a lot of speed as XP isn't build to take advantage of spreading the workload over multi cores.

Example, ripping a DVD movie to high quality MP4 on my quad core:
Win7 : approx 10 minutes.
Xp (same PC!) : approx 22 minutes.
Ubuntu: approx 13 minutes.

On the other hand, I wouldn't run Win7 on a single core, there XP wins as Win7 is always busy with a lot of things on the background, much more then XP.

Me thinks that Japo's advise probably the best, buy a new PC if needed, but keep your old one for 'old games' and stuffs, that's also what I do.
If your old one isn't worth keeping in working order, look around, there are plenty really cheap sacond hand fast single cores to find.
Last I bought 4 (yes 4) HP-Compaq d530 office desktops for 100€ (25€/PC !! ), 2.9Ghz single cores, makes lovely gaming XP PCs after cranking up the RAM to 2GB and putting an AGP vidcard in them.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
I already realized that they only gave me 4gigs ram for this computer. I guess it would be best to up it, unless XP would go funny if there was more ram than it could handle?
XP will not 'go funny' on plenty RAM, but if you want that your OS can use more than 4GB you will need a 64 OS, XP or Win7 will only only take advantage of more than 4GB if 64b OS.
A 32b OS will work fine on even something as let say 16GB, but can't use the extra RAM.(page file restrictions)

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*

Last edited by dosraider; 20-09-2012 at 04:02 AM.
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider