Old 22-04-2006, 10:01 PM   #14
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Quote:
Originally posted by troop18546@Apr 22 2006, 07:14 PM
r.u.s.s., which ones to end??? blink.gif
alg.exe -if you use firewall, you'd better let this be, if not-you can
(run %SystemRoot%\system32\services.msc and disable Application Layer Gateway Service, if you use another than english windows, you have to right click every process name and see if its alg.exe, then you can set DENIED instead of AUTOMATICALLY or MANUALLY-maybe it will be called differently, i dont have english windows=P)
by the way microsoft doesnt recommend to turn off this service becouse of firewall settings and "security" and crap, but i live without it and everything works fine=). its up to you-not critical

btw you have to know that i dont use any kind of antivirus or firewall and clean up my registry/watch processes status manually so if you feel endangered by disabling previous or next process, dont do it=). but you can at least try, if you wish..

npfmntor.exe-once i had norton antivirus and its used by it, if you want to use norton antivirus, dont disable it
(you can disable it like previous one but name will be norton something or stuff like that)

symlcsvc.exe- this is from norton antivirus too but more uselles than previous one-some additional settings if i were you i would disable it=P. its not critical process.

navapsvc.exe guess what, norton antivirus! BUT much more important than the previous one
btw i had norton antivirus without ^previous process (symlcsvc) running

ccevtmgr.exenorton antivirus... i think important one, dont remember=P. dont do anything wth it (if you want to use norton antivirus of course=))

ccapp.exe SURPRISE! norton antivirus. i had norton antivirus working without this process, this supports your mail check, BUT alllows some adware to visit your computer
maybe it s in services list, if its not run regedit, search for ccapp.exe and there should be ccapp.exe in "run", "runonce", "runonceex' or "runservices" key (key- directory icon thingie to the left)

[u]spbbcsvc.exe[u]somethign from norton again, dont disable

sndsrvc.exe norton antivirus, one of the core processes of the antivirus

ccsetmgr.exe n o r ton a n Ti v I rus, i dont disable for proper norton avirus funcion

starwindservice.exe-disable it. it was something for network setting of alcohol 120 (btw great virtual drive), but the process is crap, and alcohol works perfectly wihtout it (like for me =D)

nvxvc32.exe-p this looks like some kind of spyware but to be sure..
go to windows or windows\system32 directory, find the process, click the properties, see the description if there s none, immediatly
1. terminate process
2. delete the file (sometimes they run like 2 seconds after you finish it, so you have to make it quick)
3.disable it, if you wont find it in services, run regedit and do same thing like with ccapp.exe ..

mdm.exe-finish him! this miscrosoft integrated process, something with internet explorer debugger, crappy
it also makes your computter "accesable" and allows some troyan to get in to your computer

(should be in services list (services.msc, by the way its somewhere in controll pannel), i dont know the name though, so right click everyone and check if it s mdm.exe, realy ANNOYNG)

ctfmon.exe mentioned in previous post
Quote:
ctfmon is that little thingy down near your time which switches languages when you click on it, but i just easily use alt+shift combination
disabling wont case any harm, panel with languags just disappears but you can still use shortcut..
i dont use the process

//note, if you want this process to run, so you can see and install new language support maybe, easily click windows->run and type ctfmon.exe ..what you see? panel is back (you can do this with any other process)

spoolsv.exe this is for printing, you can disable it in services list if you dont have printer (you can always change it back, disabling just disables, not deletes or something=P)

lexpps.exe i dont know xD
check exe description in windows\system32 directory

lexbces.exe sounds simmilar to previous one, doesnt it=)
check in sys32..
it will probably be something you use and want to use, processes with simmilar names uses to be like that (you know, company or product name)

explorer.exe hehe=) (its all the pannels and sesktop and stuff)
you probably will want to have this one running=]
btw restarting explorer sometimes helps if your computer behaves strange
and you can actually turn it off during playng some game or running some kind of other application and computer will have some more free memory to run appplications smoother, you can run it again if you press ctrl+alt+delete click file->new application, type explorer and everything is back in normal way

dslagent.exe -agent ..for dsl.. =)
this should be process whithout which internet should not work but
i have DSL too and i have tried disabling it- internet worked even after it, no problems/changes, iam not sure though, i would try disabling it if i were you, you can always return it (find the process in regedit, i have already wrote what to do..)

svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
this is one of IMPORTANT system processes and proper funcion
every svchost is runned with different parameter and damed differently in services list though (of course it has dofferent funcion too)
i have runing 4 though and i realy dont remember what was the name of that pointless one for me, but dont do anything with svchosts in services list, there are over 20 svchosts in it and system runs which he needs at different situations

lsass.exe system critical, you cant even end the process

services.exesame

pdvdserv.exe i know this one, this power dvd player
this is kinda pointless=P disable it in regedit, power dvd player should work without the process

winlogon.exe one of holy ones=)

csrss.exe ^his little brother

dslstat.exe this is for DSL connection, not important.. i would disable (make backup and crap in case that your internet wouldnt work, but i realy DONT think it would affect it) should be in regedit

lxsupmon.exe i dont know, check description in system 32

smss.exe the last one critical

iexplore.exe man, why didnt you turn the internet explorer off when you was wring down the list
by the way... USE MOZILA FIREFOX

mspmssv.exe crap for windows media player, not critical even for windows media player.. disable it (regedit or services list)
it aslo can be adware/spyware, check the exe description in system32 directory and post it here=)

oh and Win98, sorry, i can write list for you later, but i am realy tired now