Thread: Web Browser
View Single Post
Old 14-02-2005, 06:24 AM   #6
feminista
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
with a cable modem my brower isn't gonna affect speed much.
That's quite the ignorant statement. Besides the time it takes to query a page, there is another factor in how fast you will see a page after typing the address. That factor is the rendering engine. The IE rendering engine is rarely updated, doesn't conform to web standards, and doesn't have to be fast because of the monopoly that Microsoft has on the browser market. Alternative browsers have to have faster and better rendering engines to compete with monopoly, and therefore Firedox and Opera have faster rendering engines than IE. This means that your browser will not necessarily send a query faster, but the time from receiving page information to seeing the page on your screen is much shorter. I have cable internet as well, but the change of rendering engines is a noticeable change in speed, and also will allow you to see webpages the way they are coded, as the Firefox rendering engine conforms to web standards, as opposed to IE, which just makes up its own rules about rendering.

And if you don't switch browsers because IE is "good enough", you're just being stubborn. If you could trade in your current computer and get a faster one for free that still had all of your files, you'd take it.

I can see where you might not care about additional features like tabbed browsing, built in pop-up blocking without additional software, easy blocking of images, lack of security exploits, frequent updates which improve the browser, or themes, but it is either ignorant or stubborn to say that there is no difference in performance from browser to browser.
feminista is offline                         Send a private message to feminista