View Single Post
Old 02-02-2005, 12:07 AM   #4
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Did you get the game from this site?

If yes, you don't need to install it because it's already fully installed inside the archive. All you need to do is to unpack it in a 8 letters directory (for DOSBox) and then use DOSBox to run Holmes.bat.

If you did not download the game from this site then I really can't help you on the matter since I don't know what that archive is all about.

This is what the Holmes.bat file is about:
Quote:
Originally posted by From HOLMES.BAT from this game archive
@echo off

if exist HOLMES.CFG goto RunGame

echo In order to take full advantage of your computer, you must
echo first run INSTALL to configure the game to your* machine.

goto EndGame
:RunGame
LOGO
TITLE %1 %2
GAME %1 %2

:EndGame
Translation: the file will look for a file named HOLMES.CFG on the same directory. If the file does not exist then it will display (echo) "In order to take full advantage of your computer, you must first run INSTALL to configure the game to your machine.". The rest is commands to actually run and game.

So if you get that "run the install first" message then you are missing the HOLMES.CFG file. However, this file is supplied with the archive from this site.

My best guess would be that either you did not download this site version of the game (available here) or you simply did not unpack the archive right and the .cfg file is missing from the game main directory.

Either way should be easy to fix.