Thread: Win98 - Memory
View Single Post
Old 30-03-2005, 01:43 PM   #5
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I installed windows 98 SE, and after installation I found sound and cd rom dos drivers. Installing those drivers in win98 lowered maximum size of program to run down to 550KB, so I had to load EMM386 to be able to use upper memory block for drivers.

But as soon as I changed config.sys and autexec.bat, some strange things happened with drivers and memory. To make it easy to understand, there is a conflict between windows memory management and DOS memory management.

To run properly DOS game in windows 98, you should not have to change your config and autoexec file, but create an shortcut, and change autoexec and config settings in there (load himem, emm386, cdrom driver, sound driver, mouse driver etc.)

After I created my own DOS shortcut, I copied it, making another be the same, except without CD rom drivers, as some games do not require CD rom drive.

Using this shortcut is similar to restart in MS-DOS mode, but it now loads all needed drivers, and by default it does not loads them.

Still got over 600KB to run DOS games, with sound, mouse and cd rom drivers, which is great for most of the games I like to play.
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue