View Single Post
Old 12-02-2014, 10:31 PM   #11
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
...blah blah ....
Yeah, you're right, of course, sometimes I think that chemo I got made a chaotic sponge of my brain, no Dx in W3, damn. Prob confused with WinG and that horrific direct draw .... ah well, good thing once in a while someone calls me back a bit, THX for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gufetto View Post
Well, if it helps, I used to play it on a W9X system back in the days, but now I've installed it on that emulated Win3.X and at least the installation went correctly. It only asks me for that DDRAW.DLL file when I try to launch the game.
If it asks for ddraw.dll it means DirectX is needed.
First thought it could be a version problem but as Fifth correctly stated no DX in Win3, minimal W9x, first DirectX files were shipped with W95 and onwards.
Just to be complete: some half baked attempts were made to get DirectX working in Win3 but they all failed, as Win3 still relied on the old MsDos heritage of using DMA etcetera long story, and MS never supported bringing DirectX to Win3, maybe for good reasons (and they wanted to promote-sell W95...)

Quote:
Now, please bear with me, as I'm probably thick-minded on these things, but... you mention that mounting c: on dosbox after installing the old DirectX, in a way that looks like you're implying that I should install that DirectX not on actual windows, but only on the dosbox folder? Is that so? If so, how do I do it?
Take a look at the tutorial section, those are written for a reason, to help beginners, not much use that I repeat everything here .....

Ah well, repeat same stuff ance again?
Basics:
You always mount a FOLDER as virtual C:, what folder where folder depends a bit of that OS you're on, again: tutorial section.
You always run those old files IN dosbox, that way your main system is safe as dosbox can only access-alter-read-write-whatever do with files on the virtual C
How you do that? Move-copy the files in your virtual C folder, launch dosbox with that folder mounted as virtual C and run files in dosbox.
(Also means: close dosbox and restart after adding things into virtual C via Windows, cache needs refresh, or read manual, there are other ways)

Quote:
I can't find any readme file. But I've downloaded the game off the internet because it's been a lot of years and I don't remember at all where my game copy is. It does look like it's the full, working game, tho.
Nope it probably isn't the full install media but missing a lot.
There is no game released with a least a 'readme' with tech info about OS-sys requirements.
As said before, early games always included (or mostly) the needed files to run the game, as in those days it was too costly to have to download MBs of extra files, and conn wasn't really reliable neither, so there were on the CD.
Etcetera, makes your downloaded thing is a (poor?) rip.

Possible remaining solutions:
Or comp settings as Fifth said, but I doubt it will work, W7 64 is kinda nitpicking about those matters.
Or VPC2007/W9X or Xp ..... probably your best shot.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider