View Single Post
Old 22-12-2005, 11:16 AM   #42
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

What gets my goat is people who say "evolution is just a theory" like that means something - they don't discount the rest of science because it's just a theory (physics in particular), but pick on evolution because it happens to contradict their nonsensical religious dogma. Evolution, probably for this very reason, is the single best-tested theory in the history of science, and nothing has ever so much as hinted that it is incorrect. The whole point of science is, as Havell said, the Scientific Method - observe something, come up with a theory about why it happens, then test that theory. If you get a different result to the one you were expecting, try to work out why. Repeat. In what way does "Well, there's this Earth, and I reckon it was all created by some unspecified being I've no evidence for six thousand years ago for some ineffable (always a good get-out clause, that one) reason, and I'm going to ignore any evidence which I can't twist out of all recognition until it appears to support me" count as science? Design (it doesn't qualify as Intelligent) gives science a bad name, not that that upsets its proponents.
It's also interesting to note how few Jewish creationists there are - on the whole, Jews seem to be much better at leaving literal interpretations of religious texts aside in favour of a sensible one than extremist Christians and Muslims, unless they're just quieter about it.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone