View Single Post
Old 19-05-2009, 05:01 AM   #15
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulac View Post
I still dislike the emphasis on quicksaving in your article, I don't think quicksaving has much to do with that.

Besides it's silly talking about quicksaving when you can just *gasp* not use it.
Erm ... I didn't even directly talk about quicksaving. The *quicksaving* parts between paragraphs, which I added as a joke, are the only mention of quicksaving, in fact. The joke was that, even while writing the article, you still had a habbit to play it safe.

And, "not using it" is a valid comment - but again, the article was not about quicksaving. It was about how games are simply becoming easier to complete, quicksave or no quicksave. Quicksaving is just the icing on the cake. More and more games make it impossible for you to die. Bioshock anyone? Prince of Persia? Prey? etc. etc.

On the one hand, I admire games trying to find alternate ways to encourage the gamer NOT to quicksave every minute but people have the habbit and Prey's system, while it works, isn't going to stop you from quicksaving and quickloading anyway. (in case you never played Prey: upon death you appeared in a dream world where you had to travel through to get back to the game).

Personally, I admire a game where you can, using skill, complete a level without feeling you have to quickload. If games avoid trial & error circumstances where you can't predict instant death (trap doors, booby traps, etc.) you really don't need quicksaving.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar