View Single Post
Old 19-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Every single person using Windows should know how to associate an extention to a program. It is simply basic and easy as pie.

If you are taking your time to make a tutorial for this then it mean the majority of users don't. I weep for humanity.

Edit: Okay, I really have no use for Frontends or for different configurations. Every single game I tried work fine with the default config. But if I had to change configs, here is what I'd do:

-Edit .conf of Dosbox and in autorun add lines which automatically mount my default old game folder as well as the CDrom (I actually already have this as default since age ago).
-Create a batch file for every specific game which need to have a specific configuration in the default dosbox folder. Once it is done and tested and everything work, I could type a single word to automatically have every config change done and run the game immediately.
-If for a reason or another (which I don't think would happen anyways) I would not be able to change the necessary config thru the DOSbox input system, the batch file would instead be a shortcut either on my desktop or on a dedicated folder which would copy the necessary .conf file before running dosbox and starting the game. The batch file would also return the original .conf after the game is over.
-This method has the advantage of not cluttering Windows with useless extensions or shortcuts all over the place and keep the default DOSbox installation ready for use whenever I double-click on the shortcut I have on my desktop. The vast majority of games should be playable with the default config without an hitch.

Writting all those batch files would not take more than about 2 minutes each since it is exactly the same thing you would type there than what you need to type in DOSbox otherwise. It is extremely simple to do.

I know many users prefer Frontends because they like automation. I also know most of those group also don't want to bother learning how to do it in the first place... But I always strongly encouraged people to learn to do something instead of having somebody else do it for them. Once you learn something you can use it again, use it for something else completely different by applying the same concepts and end up actually aquiring useful knowledge which can be used again. And while your tutorial is closely related to this, Windows versions change all the time and the way to do the same thing change at the same time. DOS is the foundation on which every single old game systems is built up and thus is way more useful in the long run.

Last edited by Eagle of Fire; 19-08-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Eagle of Fire is offline                         Send a private message to Eagle of Fire