View Single Post
Old 20-11-2005, 01:17 AM   #59
Alf Hari

I seem to remember someone posting about the lack of good RTS games on consoles. This is quite true, unfortunately. On the first 'new' generation consoles such as PSX and N64, I don't think there were many good titles. However, the Command and Conquer series was a notable exception, with fun gameplay if you could learn to use the digital controller. Actually, I own a PSX mouse, which is one of the wierdest console accessories ever mdae. It makes RTSs so much easier, more like a PC game, but with the instant playability of a console. I seem to remember that the mouse also worked with a post-apocalyptic game called Warzone, which had decent 3D graphics and a heap of missions - you could probably compare it with the Command and Conquer game on N64.

I now have a PS2, but haven't bought any RTS games for it, as I don;t know of any good ones. I think that RTS games will continue to decline on consoles. The reasons for this are probably that PC RTS games are easily playable on the internet, and also because any RTS made today is expected to have a nice rotatable 3D view as well as number buttons for assigning teams and other controls which the console controllers can't hope to match. So the point is that RTSs on consoles have probably had their day, unless you want to go and buy a PSX and hunt around for the half-dozen C&C titles on it.
Alf Hari is offline                         Send a private message to Alf Hari