View Single Post
Old 23-09-2020, 10:03 AM   #5
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by t?eS??U?? View Post
Cool! Thanks! Sadly, I'm still having trouble finding the exact edition of the game I was looking for.
Did you name the game? I can check, if you'll be precise enough.

Quote:
Doesn't matter, do you know a forum for modding old games?
Sorry. There are several enthusiasts who mode old games at this forum (Civ2 recently was pushed up), but I don't know any specific forum for that.

Quote:
...and is DOSBox the best emulator? It seems pretty good i guess, although some games are kinda slow/glitchy.
Actually, no. Even omissing the fact that it currently emulates pre-Win95 PC, it never was created as _accurate_ emulator. It's the tool for playing DOS games before all. But it have benefit of being actively developed and supported, so if you'll get _real_ bug of DOSBox (not caused by game itself), you can hope that it will be fixed eventually. Especially if you'll bring it to developers.

Speaking about "slow/glitchy" - it's not right in most cases. It's speed limited by speed of your PC, and if only you haven't something from 1999, chances is it's bad DOSBox setup, not game is slow.

Glitches is the different case. There are too many "DOSes" actually under cover of one. CGA behave different from VGA, Tandy works woth sound totally not like average PC, and PCJr usually very picky with memory requirements. And then old protection kicking in, messing the things...

But mentioned above TDC and eXoDOS proves that usually everything can be defeated. Nowadays TDC usually the great place to find unaltered game copies (and with hacks implemented professionally in most cases), and eXoDOS allows you to play every single game as it expected to play.

(Of course, sheer number of games guarantees that _some_ games can be glitchy/non-working anyway - just because no one tested it, some crucial files lost in 1993 or simply unnoticed bad hack sneaked to every surviving archive - but such cases must be bring to the light to defeat them).

Quote:
Is there any merit to setting up a VM with Win95 or MacOS8 and searching around for old dev-tools? ...It's been awhile since I set up a VM...
I doubt any VM supports Win95 enough to play the games. Well, you'll definitely _will_ be able to play some of them - but mostly it will be the same games that can be played without VM even now. Stumbling stones, like exotic videomodes, 3D-acceleration, accurate clock emulation, etc. - they are usually the same poor on VMs as on real modern hardware. That's why late 90s is the least preserved gaming era for now.