View Single Post
Old 21-01-2006, 04:04 AM   #2097
rlbell
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Cockroach+Jan 21 2006, 03:24 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cockroach @ Jan 21 2006, 03:24 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Supermot@Jan 18 2006, 02:14 AM
Has anyone here managed to win the game on "superhuman"? The best I could win it on was the middle difficulty.
It's the only way to play [/b][/quote]
If I did not play at superhuman, I would never reload.

Things I will never do again:

Attack downed terror ships. Fourteen laser pistols versus 8 cyberdisks and other assorted sectoids is not fun, especially when some of the aliens, including cyberdisks, are not drawn to the screen. Now that I have the full panoplay of plasma weaponry, I may attack grounded floater terror ships.

Attack an etherial scoutship to get the etherial autopsy and etherial interrogation report for the ufopedia.

Odd observation: Too much money causes ellyrium troubles, as only the battleship can defend against interceptors loaded with avalanches, and lots of money means having enough avalanch missile to bring down everything else. However, very few craft brought down by avalanch missiles have salvageable power sources. In fact, if you bounce a battleship with four interceptors loaded with avalanches, simultaneously, there is little ellerium left on it, either; although, you will lose a couple of interceptors to do it (If you have unlimited funds, you can shoot down everything, but the swarms of battleships that sometimes show up to construct a base).

To dogpile on a UFO, you keep minimising the interception boxes, until all four interceptors show up, and then you open the other three interception boxes and QUICKLY select cautious attack four times. If you are too slow, an interceptor may be blasted away before the fourth interceptor gets the attack order. Avalanch missiles are better for these attacks than plasma beams, as they have longer range. The avalanch missile may do as much damage as the plasma beam, or be as accurate, but the avalanch armed interceptor spends less time in the deadly space where the battleship can fire and the interceptors cannot. Also, avalanch missiles and launchers require no ellyrium.

Another odd observation is that too much money allows enough bases to preempt most, if not all, terror missions. I am nearly to June, but no terror ships have ever reached their destination. I may have to change my cheating style to boosting the level of funding, instead of starting with an obscene lump sum.

Has anyone else seen the television series that may have inspired the game?

It was called UFO, and was produced by Gerry and Sylvia Anderson (who also did Supercar, Fireball XL5, Thunderbirds, Stingray, Captain Scarlet, another supermarionation show that I forget the name of, and Space: 1999 [possibly others, but these are just the ones that I have seen]). It was a live action program with model and special effects that were better than any of their supermarionation series (which, by Captain Scarlet, were quite good). The world was being defended by SHADO, and SHADO had no end of expensive and interesting toys, including flying subs that could leap out of the ocean and combat the UFO's. The SHADO uniforms were designed by the then very famous Rudy Heinrich (better known for his one-piece swimsuit that made a point of not covering the wearer's breasts). The uniforms in Space:1999 were also designed by Rudi Heinrich, yet the women were much more sensibly dressed than their Starfleet counterparts.

Many of the elements of the game have counterparts in the television series. SHADO air forces would bring down a UFO and then an all-terrain crawler would carry a team of commandos into whatever wilderness the UFO crashed in. Recovered aliens would be studied, or infiltration attempts would be thwarted. The aliens in UFO were close enough to human to use human body parts as replacements for their own organs (one of their chief reasons for abducting people). I would go on, but the series does get that much syndication, so I have not seen it in a very long time.
rlbell is offline                         Send a private message to rlbell