View Single Post
Old 21-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #296
wilk7486

HI, I was looking around in the web, searching for a forum with an explanation, how to make run crusader no remorse and solve the issue with error:
"Unable to open file (null), in file FILE/FASTFLEX.C, line 38"

There was a lot questions about that in many different forums but no reliable answer in one place for that.
Finally I managed to remember the solution and solve the problem.
After the instalation of the game (Crusader no remorse v 1.01) from the original cd, we must find the install location and copy everything from the original cd to the install location in the hdd folder. everything but not the exe files.
The fastflex issue, appear too if we forgot to mount the game as well as the cd. (can be copied into a hdd location, and mounted from there as a CDROM)
This is the most important, this game or at least the original game, canot be played without a cd or a mounted folder with the copied cd files inside.

I like to return sometimes to this game and this is not the first time when i forget how to and why, so a little reminder for myself and maybe someone else, how to install and mount all this stuff using dosbox + d-fend.

We install dosbox first, then d-fend. doble click in d-fend icon, add with editor and step by step, we configure.

for the instalation we put in GAME EXE, the path from the cd or from the hdd folder of the crusader.exe ass well as for the setup
game need loadfix 64 kb and the capture folder can be anywhere.

In mounting options, click add,
mount type: drive
select drive: C:\CRUSADER (The folder must exist, so we create it "by hand" and is empty, for now.)
mounted drive letter: C

the same again, add,
mount type: CDROM
select drive: D:\CrusaderNoRemorse (the location where I copied everything from the original cd )
mounted drive letter: F (F is my CDROM drive)

Ok, Ok, and run setup. The system has installed the game in: C:\CRUSADER
After the instalation we change the path of the game exe to the installation root and should work.
If dosent work, use the method gived here:http://cyberionsystems.com/echosecto....php?topic=6.0

the game need to work and install, enabled XMS, EMS and video card vga. The rest depend on what machine we use (at least i think).

The black screen issue is something strange, i have solved this by installing the game by dosbox without d-fend, using it only to configure options like full screen and cpu stuff.
I think, it apear when we forget to mount the cd as well as the game.

I had some problems with, how to patch the game using dosbox, and google has not gived me the answer, so some instructions if i will forget it again.
To patch the game with dosbox:

open dosbox (NO D-FEND !)
type:
mount c c:\crusader (directory of the installation)
mount d d:\crusadernoremorse (the directory where i copied the cd and used it instead of the game cd, for obvious reasons) (don't use space in the name of the folder, won't work in dos.)
c:
crupatch c:crusader\crusader.exe (i think this hasnt work)
crupatch c:\

the game was patched. Of course the patch must be extracted and copied in c:\crusader folder as well as in d:\crusadernoremorse folder. (Maybe just in the first one)

In Priority i use options: first higher, second normal
In Environment i use:
63 MB - amount of dos memory
enabled XMS and EMS
cycles 15000, up 500, down 20, with enabled option sync
CPU Core: dynamic
frame skip: 0
display: vga

In General:
fullscreen
doublebuffering
fullfixed
aspect correction
Render method: ddraw
Resoluion: default
scale: none
scaling: 1.00

Hope this will help someone or myself in the future.
wilk7486 is offline                         Send a private message to wilk7486