Thread: Dune
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2005, 02:22 PM   #107
Guest_Eddie

Dune is an absolutely awesome game. I first played this game when I was about 12, and have played the game roughly once a year ever since. It was really difficult at first but suddenly you work out that you've always got to stay on top of spice production or you'll get into trouble.

Anyway, I just wanted to share a couple of strange experiences I had with this game. The very first time I completed this game I somehow managed to do it without going down any of the ecology plotline completely unintentionally. I didn't bother with Chani (I didn't realise what to do and since she wouldn't come with me I left her behind), and as a consequence never met Liet Kynes, and also never learned how to ride a worm. I'm not sure how I completed the game in this way because the spice from the dozens of sietches revealed by Chani and Kynes is enormous. Must have been pretty close.

The other weird event was when, at the final battle for the Harkonnen palace I managed to get to the palace before the battle was over. The usual battle screen appeared, but once it ended I spoke to Stilgar outside the palace (who I'd asked to come with me from the sietch where they had all gathered). I spoke to him and he told me that the Fremen were working on turning the fortress into a sietch. I waited 2 days (the normal time) and - yep - they turned the palace into a sietch!

Upon going into the new sietch the game didn't end in its normal way. In fact, it was now impossible to end it. But inside were the Baron Harkonnen, Feyd Rautha Harkonnen and the Emperor. I could talk to them, and they said a couple of things that were otherwise not part of the game.

I have never been able to replicate this situation. Very strange.