View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #19
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
DN is really better than NC (and I said exactly that in previous post - sorry if I messed it). But it's main problem is that it's not NC. If you are not accustomed to NC, well, it can do. Otherwise it will be whole lot of mess, and why? To run several old games?

Again, if it's still not clear: I think that at least VC and DN are good programs, as is. (I didn't see Star Commander). But if you are worked with NC, this programs are mess, because they are too similar to NC in appearance - and simultaneously are totally different in many mappings, that made a lot of unnecessary confusion. In that, and only that sense they are "poor substitutes".

(Also, exactly this issue was the reason why I switched from NC to Windows Commander absolutely flawless, but wasn't able to accustom to Far at all.
Heh, apparently I'm not that hardcore orthodox file manager user after all, since I like Far exactly for its NC-like looks I use VC alpha 4.99 in DOSBox, and only for simple functions like move files from one directory to another, and also the internal viewer.

To run games, typing dir *.exe, dir *.bat and dir *.com from the command prompt is usually quite sufficient. I also prefer dir /w to quickly view contents of a large directory (usually to check directory names).

BTW, there's also the internal browser in the DOS RAR versions with shell (v2.50 and below).