Thread: 1 hour on TV
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2008, 07:19 AM   #8
rlbell
Game freak

I would channel the late Bob Homme and do my own version of "The Friendly Giant". Possibly using forced perspective to allow me to seem like a giant talking to children's entertainers and authors of children's books.

The show played on the fact that, to children, adults seem like giants.

It opened with the camera panning across a model landscape . . .

(paraphrased, the show has yet to be released on DVD and they stopped rerunning it years ago)

"Here we are out in the country looking at a dairy farm. There is the farmer's house. Next to it is the silo where food is stored, now we see the barn, and to its right we see a boot. But if you look up, waaaay up, you'll see me, The Giant.

"I'll run along ahead of you and have the drawbridge down and the gate open when you arrive.

Next we see a shot of a castle openning its gate and lowering its drawbridge, as the title music plays.

it was a sweet program that included some banter between Friendly* and his companions, Rusty the rooster and Jerome the giraffe, sometimes music played by the siamese kittens (often accompanied by Friendly and his recorder), or Friendly reading a story.

It ended with another sequence of the castle. This time closing the gates and raising the drawbridge. While this happens, a cow jumps over the moon.

Major childhood bliss recovery.

* the other characters gave the impression that Friendly was the friendly giant's given name.
rlbell is offline                         Send a private message to rlbell