View Single Post
Old 29-11-2009, 02:59 AM   #3
rabadi
New(bie) Kid on the Linux Users' Block

Eleven years ago I had this opportunity to stay in the US for a while. It was my first Thanksgiving, and obviously I was not familiar with the customs. At that time I stayed at an apartment. Being a student at the time, I usually dined out on campus, which is across the street from the apartment, and seldom stocked food in the fridge. In the afternoon of the Thanksgiving day, it was alright. My uncle, who lived in a nearby city (well, not too near, I think it took 2 hours to drive there), came to visit me and took me for lunch at his African American colleague's house. It was a lunch (or perhaps I should say a brunch) of turkey. I did not eat much though, I guess turkey was just not too appetizing to me. Anyway, my uncle dropped me back at my apartment in the afternoon, and I thought I had my dinner later in the evening on campus. Well, guess what, that evening I found out that everything on campus was closed. All nearby restaurants and shops were closed. I did not have a vehicle at that time, and I always took a bus if I went around. But since every restaurant was closed, I did not see a point to go. Besides, it was already late in the evening. Alas, my uncle did not even explain this to me about this custom in the afternoon. So I finally I went to sleep with empty stomach that night. Imagine that... starving on a Thanksgiving night. I think I made the pilgrims cried some more back then...
rabadi is offline                         Send a private message to rabadi