Thread: Old Threads
View Single Post
Old 20-09-2007, 11:28 PM   #24
Fruit Pie Jones
Now 50% Descriptivist!

This is actually rather interesting. My knee-jerk response to resurrection of old threads is, "Don't do that!" When I think about it, however, I can't come up with a really good justification for starting a new thread over posting in an old one if my post will add something to the discussion. I've never administered a forum, but from a technical standpoint it seems like a post tacked onto an old thread would actually consume slightly less disk space than the first post of a new thread - not the text of the post itself, of course, but the other things associated with it, like a new thread title and pointers and whatnot. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on this; I'd like to know for sure.)

So, can anyone come up with a really good reason for starting a new thread as opposed to resurrecting an old one? Please back up your reason with whatever data you've got handy. ("It's bad netiquette" doesn't count, because I want to know why it's bad.)