Thread: The Guide
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2007, 09:32 PM   #14
crazedloon
Forum hobbit

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Jan 4 2007, 01:44 PM) [snapback]273261[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Linux:
Don't know that much about Linux OS'es, so I can't tell you much about them.
* Damn Small Linux: Bootable CD or bootable floppy that starts the CD (in case your machine is not compatibile with some types of bootable CD's; can happen, had that myself). Can install on your hard drive or run off a ramdisk (portion of your RAM reserved by the program and turned into a virtual hard drive) if you have 128 MB or more. Not sure how much system resources it needs to operate with full GUI, the basic command line should work smoothly even on a 486.
[/b]
DSL is very undemanding and a 486 is more than enough processing power to allow the X-Windows GUI to work. I think DSL is a good idea as a backup OS, because even if you have a DOS-type bootloader written to the MBR on your hard-disk like I have with FreeDOS, you can still boot up in Linux with a DSL LiveCD. In the case of DSL, you can even set aside a tiny 50 Megabyte Linux partition on your hard-disk and then have the option of booting up with either a full-featured modern Linux (DSL) or DOS.
crazedloon is offline                         Send a private message to crazedloon