View Single Post
Old 22-10-2015, 08:59 AM   #18
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Baldur's Gate Trilogy Solo Bard, ToSC

Durlag's Tower:
with all its problems the Tower isn't you against an army, so I say no better time than now.

To enter you'd have to fight 2 battle horrors, but they're immun to piercing damage aka. bows, and if a barbarian has trouble fighting them imagine a puny bard. So I just ran up and down, mostly 'cause I didn't want to waste wand-charges on 'em. I don't think my own spells would do too much harm to them you know, although I COULD re-memorise to switch from webs to Aganzanar's Scorcher for the heck of it. But Boots of Speed is just gamebreaking.

Anyway, the upper levels at worst has some ghast if you wonder around, and if not 4K free exp. You can steal the staffspear from the unfortunate adventurer and sell it for money.
I'm still a bit frustrated the shopkeeper don't have infinite healing potions if we lack a healer...

Below ground:
- lvl 1 has some ghast, pummel 'em with arrows.
- lvl 5-6 offers nothing, so skip it. Again not worth trying the chessboard.
- lvl 2: has a battle horror. Meh. In the room you find it is a locker you CAN bash open. Good news is there're arrows everywhere so you don't have to go out for supply. Yes, most of 'em r special arrows, but BG1 has not trolls or anything (nor could you hit the Big Bad Demon in Ulgoth's Beard with arrows), so feel free to use them.
Walk always manually through the side-corridors because the passage to the south(? well, which is in front of the entrance) has a trap which shoots fireballs and don't get deactivated when walking through it.
Also watch out for two Mustard Jellies (again immun to piercing) residing in a room.
There're 2 flesh golems and a Wraith Spider which demand +1 arrows (don't go melee).
Oh, and there's a Monster Summoning III scroll on this level (not noted in walkthroughs).

The 4 dwarves-apparition:
Before talking with the last questor take all your arrows in your inventory. Right after talking with the last RUN LIKE HECK (booots of speed/potion of speed demanded) to the entrance, so you spearated ... Fear? Whatever, it is a blurry doppelganger-thing. Pummel it with +2 arrows.
Next get as close to the other ghost-thingy on this side of the lvl-door to activate it THEN RUN BACK. This "activation" causes a mini-cloudkill running, damaging TWO of the minibosses! When it ends they are much easier picking. Actually the closer-one is a thief who'll try to backstab you (not that high damage), so use a spin to eliminate it ASAP.
Pride is the hardest, even after being weakened, so you want to deal out damage FAST. If your offensive spin lasts use it, and do some +2 arrow shots (retreating until the entrance) to weaken it further (could manage 3*11 dmg), than release some wand of frost charges (2 should be enough, running away between the shots).

- lvl 3: a thing to know of doppelgangers is, they cast Mirror Image and than Haste. Both takes time. When they start casting back away, so they don't chase you, and you can simply w8 until the effect dissipates.
For the throne room run out ASAP with the helmet, w8 until the gangers stop rolling saving throws, than hit the rightmost dummy to open the door again.
To get Kiel's Buckler (bard can only wield these suxxor-shields) you have to kill the doomguards. First: there's 4 of them, and the traps (fireball, lightning) never get deactivated (but you can go around 'em if you know where they are, but the AI will blast 'em on your head, so nah), the corridors are thin - so we have trouble. Casting THREE web before touching anything makes the situation manageable. What you need to do during that is casting zounds (ca. a dozen) fireballs from wand/s. Well, for solo Fireball charges mostly suck anyway.
Opening the chest is the second problem, so either sleep right now to memorize a knock spell (if you have it - could be found during the adventure. It is lvl 2, so you the webs take away the space to have it memorized already), or come back after gaining Bala's axe (if you want it - I do). You can NOT bash open this chest even with 25 STR (violet potion).

NOTE: on (one of) the way out in the room where's Durlag's Goblet oh-so-sudden I met 2 uber-doppelgangers. They had stats in the sky I could not hit 'em with roll 18, so I had to use up a ton of charges from wands to get rid of them. They also kept healing each other, so it took looong. I have no idea why this happened.

At this point my equipment is:
weapons: Long bow of Marksmanship, Bala's Axe, Short Sword +2
necklace: necklace of missiles
gauntlet: gauntlets of weapon expertise
armor: chain mail +2
shield: Kiel's buckler
belt: of piercing
bots: of speed
cloak: of displacement
ring 1-2: claw of Kazgaroth, ring of free action/of prot from fire

------------

methods which do NOT work under Trilogy/Weidu/EE to kill Drizzt:
- summon infinite monsters from wands (maximum monster present is 5)
- shoot him with arrows from the other side of the lake (pathfinder routine sees further than under real BG1)
- shoot him with Detonation Arrows (accidental breaking immunity/resistance no longer exist)
- stealing: you can only steal Frostband
- combining Boots of Speed with Potion of Speed: they no longer stack

method which COULD work by the look of it:
step 1: summon monsters
step 2: attack drizzt with piercing arrows and other thaco-boosting equipment, buff etc.
step 3: keep summoning things
step 4 profit
---
the only problem is, my lvl 11 blade could not have low (high?) enough thaco to hit Drizzt outside criticals. So I don't think it is possible to kill Drizt solo outside original BG1.
The running up and down while the whole party is shooting arrows COULD work of course with some luck.

Last edited by twillight; 22-10-2015 at 03:28 PM.
twillight is offline                         Send a private message to twillight