View Single Post
Old 22-12-2014, 08:09 PM   #139
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I might take the effort installing win'98 on a spare HDD... This situation really gets annoying.

Until that, I replayed Monkey Island. All the first 3 I have.

The Secret of Monkey Island was likely the best graphic adventure game ever. Fun, great graphic, not-too-hard-not-too-easy language, comfortable controls,and almost all puzzles were logical.
Well, it wasn't flawless, as those pesky Random Pirates walk the road before you'd be able to fight them, and I suspect you actually don't have to buy the sword from the shop (not that you wouldn't have the gold), and only people lost will find the "hole in the wood" easter egg, not to mention gaining the Red Herring is pixel-hunt, giving the idol to the cannibals is counter-intuitive (those are told to be precious sacred idols you better not mess with), and following the shopkeeper is less than obvious, but that's really a minority report.
Also, there is an Alternative Ending depending wether you sink the Sea Monkey or not (the official ending seems you do sink it), what is a big plus.

Le'Chuck's Revenge... Well, it is full of even-hunt, what is similar to pixel-hunt, but instead of a random pixel you look for a random place to go/ random thing to say what'll trigger the event demanded o roll the story, and the spitting-contest is "doing the same thing and hoping a different result", not to mention finding Walley (or walking Disney Island), who is on the end of a corridor which looks like part of a maze...
And the ending... It seems obvious thisis the game you finally learn "a disturbing truth on your world" - foretold by the Voodoo Lady in the first game. Who approved that?
There is also an "alternate ending", but that's so unlikely to trigger, doubtable anyone ever would gain it. It is also associated with an Easter Egg.
So, you remember hanging with Walley in the dungeon at the end? The Easter Egg part is to let the time expire. You not only "die" there, but switch back to the intro-scene, than continue.
The "alternate ending" comes as the legend told if you did not participate in the Spitting Contest. Beats me why. Or just not gained the Green Drink? More likely.
This'll not actually be an ending per-se, but an infinite loop, where you miss an item. This can happen if you while going for the map-piece in the antique-shop don't gain the money from the spitting contest, instead buy each thing possible from the antique dealer, then go to the three Lazy Pirate, and wax their peg-leg until your eyes fall out, gain 5999 gold (they always give 1 less old than you would need in the actual chapter I assume, as in chapter 1 you'd need 20 gold and you can get 19 from them), sell back some of his own stuff to the antique dealer,and sail the glass-ship by that money.
The problem is, you can gain 5 pieces of eight in 1 minute, making it 300 gold/hour, what means 20 hours constant mindless clicking for the supposed goal, what even the most lifeless zombie wouldn't do.
BUT the game introduced icon-items instead of text-items, and a lot of advanced hand-drawn graphic, while departing from the "talking head" design, so it has its place.

Curse of Monkey Island is a definite hit. Cool graphics, even better animation, crazy ideas like El Pollo Diablo, and excellent choice of character voices.
The game unfortunately got a bit old, and runs now in emulator instead of full-screen, but as this is not dosbox material anymore, we must be glad they made it for summvm.
The game is definitely for a more adult mind. The puzzles are demanding a wider imagination/knowledge - but they do make sense at least.
One issue though: you can easily miss a good chunk of the story if you don't talk enough. You can still do the stuff, but it'll never turn out why you do what you did. Not that serious for those who re-play the game of course...

PS: aquired a CD1 for my long-not-even-looked-on-it 4th part of this series. Will play tomorrow, or something.

Last edited by twillight; 22-12-2014 at 09:10 PM.
twillight is offline                         Send a private message to twillight