View Single Post
Old 04-12-2004, 09:33 AM   #3
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

To say that its infested with aids would be generalizing.

Indeed it can be a bit dangerous there... but I have a lot of friends from South Africa. Most of them lived in Johannesburg.

I myself won't write much about my own country since Belgium's history is rather dull.
Founded as a kind of Bufferzone against france after which it (the bourgeoisie) revolted against the netherlands (using weapons the dutch gave to the bourgeoisie to protect their factories from angry workers) And eventually founded a constitutional monarchie.

A few monarchs later its still here. Only now there is a rising outcry of extreme-right calling for the abolishment of the royal family and splitting Belgium in two (dutch speaking north and french speaking south). A week or so ago the crownprince even made a highly controversial political statement against the extreme right party (which recently had to change its name from Vlaams Blok to Vlaams Belang on charges of rascism but its nevertheless the biggest party in the north of belgium and the actual winner of the previous elections)

And thats how things are now.

I'll refrain from telling the more interesting story of Israel's founding, but I don't want to make you-know-who upset and get this topic all OT