View Single Post
Old 21-05-2006, 10:47 PM   #34
guesst
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghost Pig@May 20 2006, 06:47 PM
In an ideal world, guesst's suggestion would be possible - it sounds awesome; and the fact that such things should be possible only make it all the more infuriating... Imagine, a machine that could produce any game from history, and in a form that would work on your PC!

Sadly, costs and the fact that it's damned hard to get a response for developers/publishers (although I imagine that this is much easier if you've got the cash to impress them with) means that this would stay as nothing but a pipe dream...

Of course, you could always reduce costs by having it via an online distribution system, but letting the people own the game, instead of having to pay monthy installments to keep playing with them.

Quintopotere - thanks! I'm going to keep trying and hopefully I'll report back when I get a positive result.
Well, I don't know about ANY game in history. But start with a library of 25-100 and add more as you get the rights and stuff, making sure that the conversion process includes sufficent enough testing that you're not selling lemons. Start with the big ones (your system shock2 and Alien breed, maybe X-Com and others) that people are likely to be excited about.

Cost, yes, and demand are issues. Will it actually turn a profit after 2 years? 5 years? Ever? But assuming it will there is another major issue. With a legal distribution of these games sites like this will have to be shut down. Abandonware sites would be unjustifyable. All the work and effort that has gone into this site alone, never mind the others... makes me sad actually.
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst