View Single Post
Old 28-03-2008, 12:30 PM   #29
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
Products they would release on a console are completely different than products they'd release on the PC. Those can't mix.

You would not be able to download them back into a computer and play those games, for example. This mean that the preservation purpose is still valid on the site.
It is the same game, different ports. It is the same with Amiga vs. PC games. They are different, but in essential they are the same games.

Lucas Arts is rare company which went down after Amiga versions as well, no matter that Amiga computers are not on sale for last 15 or so years.

Speaking of preservation, games on this site are not meant to be preserved, but are here just for nostalgic reasons that board members can play them.

Real preservation would mean to preserve original media, floppies, CD images etc. in their original form. (no saves, no changes etc.)

SPS (Software Preservation Society) preserved most of Amiga games in their original state. How hard was to preserve those games, I believe I don't have to mention. Amiga had special flopy protection, which meant you can't even made original copy of games you own. They (SPS) made completely new image format that would preserve copy protection as well. Also they are trying to have all versions of the game, including original, budget, copilation etc.

They are working on extending their project on different formats, including IBM PC.

Note, for legal reason they are not offering any of the games on their site.

So, next time you use preservation purpose in argument, think about real preservation.

There was a TOSEC for PC games (I believe I might even have it), but I'm not sure if they update it. (Note, tosec also include cracked-hacked games) Planet emu has other tosecs, but they don't have anything of PC tosec.

:amused:

I didn't get an answer about my signature. Am I legal to quote you?? :laugh:

Last edited by Rogue; 28-03-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue