View Single Post
Old 15-09-2006, 07:40 AM   #4
Horoma
Abandonia nerd

I'd say your right, but ....

Of course, violent video games aren't THE cause of violent behaviour, same goes for violent movies and television series. But I'm still astonished to see so much violence on screen, while there is plenty of censorship on nudeness and eroticism. It's like saying : "Killing people is allowed, but reproduction is forbidden". Though seeing so much violence does not make one violent, it does make one indifferent when seeing violence. I can watch a movie where the "hero" kills dozens of people, without feeling any emotions towards the victims. Of course, I know they're only actors, and brutal violence in real life can still shock me. But I'm not sure if children really make that distinction. For this reason, I think it's good to keep children (and I don't mean teenagers) away from highly realistic and ultraviolent video games.

When it comes to violent behaviour, I agree that social conditions are often the most important factor. That's why violence (and other criminal activities) appears frequently in families in decent neighbourhoods. Pressure in modern day work environments is often so suffocating, many parents are having difficulties to balance carreer and family life. You could say they need the income for raising their children, so they don't always have a choice. But in many cases, parents just want to stick up with others in their social class (mobile phone, 2nd car, GPS, home cinema, etc.) and should really think about what's most important, their social status or their children. I know what 's most important to me. k:

I don't know the statistics, but I wouldn't be surprised if violence were more frequent amongst players of violent video games. But, statistics should always be treated with caution, as they fail to take into consideration cause and result. What I mean is that people with violent tendencies will be more likely to start playing violent video games. So there may be more violent people amongst the violent game players, but that doesn't mean their behaviour is caused by playing such games.

<Walks away and starts playing some Carmageddon>
Horoma is offline                         Send a private message to Horoma