View Single Post
Old 25-07-2015, 11:14 AM   #1
stayingsong

Default Space-themed rail shooter, takes place in space and then you infiltrate a facility

I would be forever indebted and grateful to anyone who might help me identify a game which has always eluded my own efforts at identification whenever I happened to be in a nostalgic mood for those old PC games I enjoyed as a kid.

What I remember about the game was that it was a first-person space-themed shooter and that you had a vertical health bar comprised of small rectangles on the left or right side of the screen. The first few levels took place in space where your goal was to destroy these turrets and generators on larger, white ships against a rapidly-shifting, starry black background. Pretty sure it was a rail shooter but the movement was very chaotic--think Chaos Control instead of Star Fox or Star Wars: Rebel Assault.

After cleaning up the bogeys in space, you landed your ship in a snowy (or was it metallic?) crater-like depression and you had to shoot numerous enemies who approached from all sides. What I remember vividly now is you then approach a door built into the side of the crater/depression and have to enter an entry code into a security panel to proceed, and at this point an enemy appears on the screen. I could never react in time as a kid and he would always shoot and kill me, which honestly ticked me off quite a bit... I remember I would always blame my crappy mouse (or was it an old school joystick?).

I should mention that this was most likely a DOS-based game I played on my dad's Windows 3.1 PC in the late 90s. Could have also been on Windows 95 but that's less likely. I have to emphasize that I was probably less than 10 at the time so my recall of certain elements might be questionable. I don't recall anything memorable about the music.

Continuing on with the details, after dispatching the heinous agent of ambush, you infiltrated some sort of facility or warehouse of sorts and had to shoot a bunch of enemies who popped out from behind boxes (similar to Time Crisis I think). The setting was some large underground cavern with a lot of rocks and crates. Don't think I got too far past that point. This is most of what I remember about this game. If anyone could identify this oldie for me I would be eternally grateful! I remember it was a pretty fun but difficult game for me back in the day, and I enjoyed it along with Magic Carpet, Lode Runner: The Legend Returns, Raptor, Quest for Glory, Lemmings, Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, Brain Dead 13 and more.

Last edited by stayingsong; 25-07-2015 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Clarify title
stayingsong is offline                         Send a private message to stayingsong